Saturday, November 28, 2015

hi,

twelve years ago, tom higgenson met delilah dicrescenzo and told her, "i'm going to write a song about you."
i've always wanted to be someone worth writing a song about.

the reason i've never liked introductions is because they never do anyone justice.
in fact, words never do anyone justice.
but i'll give it a try.

i'm best friends with god
because sometimes we sit on the bathroom floor together and talk about how everything's going to be okay and how i should be praying for my parents because they're trying just as hard as i am

it's a common thing for girls to say, 'i want to be a mom' but i really, genuinely do. in the middle of my soul-searching and my traveling, at some point at least six years from now, i want to have kids and i want to be best friends with them. we'll watch weird movies and i'll read them poetry every night and we'll be that really weird family down the street that everyone is confused by. i'm pretty confident that my future family is going to be awesome.

i share a birthday with adolf hitler and shakespeare
and a personality type with mark twain, robin williams, julie andrews and dr. seuss
i'm an introvert masquerading as an extrovert and sometimes it's the other way around

i've never been married before
but that doesn't mean the love i've felt hasn't been real
(just so you know if you're convinced teenage love can't ever be real. guess what. i'm convinced it's possible and he broke my heart over a year ago. so take that. hah.)

anyways.

the best day of my life was on my friend's birthday and we went around the alpine loop
because something about the canyons and the fresh air helps me pull my life together
and realize that everything matters and nothing does
but it's the now that's most important

i'm not who i want to be yet, but i'm on my way there.
i'm still fighting mediocrity and social norms but up until now, i've had both hands tied behind my back. watch out, normality because i'm a fighter.

Someday i'll be running through the rain and someday i'll hand out love letters to strangers and someday i'll drive up the canyon with someone i love and we'll name all the stars and someday i'll tell a stranger my life story. (you've gotten pieces of it)

i've been anonymous and i'm more than a little scared
but i've always been afraid of doing what's easy instead of doing what i really want
and now it's time to face my fears
so no, my name isn't delilah

greetings pleasant grove, cedar hills, new york city, atlanta, chicago, russia, wherever you come from and wherever you go,
my name is rylie fugal
and hopefully i'll see you around

xx
rylie [delilah piper]



18 comments:

  1. "i'm best friends with god
    because sometimes we sit on the bathroom floor together and talk about how everything's going to be okay and how i should be praying for my parents because they're trying just as hard as i am"

    i love this stanza and how you revealed.

    hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the most lovely reveals I have read so far.

    My darling, you are extraordinary. How nice it is to finally meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The part about introverts and extroverts was awesome.

    This was complete.

    Also, the birthdays. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RYLIE YESSSSSS I love your blog so much!!!!!!!!! And I love you so much. I love the simplicity and the little things about you that make you... you. so so so so so good. I agree with Annelis Marie too. amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness. you are an EXCELLENT writer. seriously. goals.

    also
    "i'm an introvert masquerading as an extrovert"
    me too.


    also
    I haven't met you in person but I feel like we'd be good friends. good to meet you, rylie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "i've always wanted to be someone worth writing a song about"
    Nice to meet you Rylie! I love reading your blog and this was a fantastic reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I adore this :) I feel like I can relate to you a lot. Especially about the personality types ;) and the introvert part. Ah! It's nice to meet you....even though we are in the same class :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great blog! great reveal! great person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you rylie. I've always been a fan of your stuff. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. No way!! Rylie this is amazing! Your words are some of my favorite to read and you're one of my favorite people

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was written so beautifully. you are amazing and your blog is amazing. i love your writting

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay this was a perfectly beautiful reveal. I loved the parts about the introvert/extrovert.

    this is amazing. nice to meet you Rylie:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sitting with God on the bathroom floor.

    And the extrovert/introvert line might be the most relatable thing I've read on the blogs, and exactly what I wish I had said over all this time, just like that.

    Your writing is so relatable and I think that's because it's honest. It's impressive. Keep being rylie and keep being Delilah and keep being you please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i loved this. like really, the beginning was sooo amazing, everything about it, just wow. i love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rylie, stop being so good at everything. It's making me insecure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!! if anyone is good at everything darling, it's you. remember that time you wrote a prime smash poem in an hour? yup. good times.

      Delete

  16. Someday i'll be running through the rain and someday i'll hand out love letters to strangers and someday i'll drive up the canyon with someone i love and we'll name all the stars and someday i'll tell a stranger my life story. (you've gotten pieces of it)

    this line made my insides all knotted together and i LOVE your blog. keep writing because you'll keep inspiring people

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved every sentence of this post and your blog has been one of my all time favorites and you're just an incredible human all around so keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete