Sunday, November 15, 2015

borderline heartbreak

when i was fifteen, nobody told me you could disintegrate
because you love someone
and that isn't a metaphor because i turned to ash with your lack of words
with the vegas love you found
in the girl standing next to me.

and yes that was a metaphor because science will say that i've got a condition
a mental disease and you're expected to understand
but saying, "i suffer from borderline personality disorder"
will never describe the shadows lurking beneath my skin
or the loss of a sixteen year old girl
all because she said "i love you" for the first time and meant it
while he whispered beautiful poetry to the girl next to her
and said all of it was real

and maybe it was.

maybe he fell in love with her best friend
and maybe those pastel 'you are loved' sticky notes were hung with true purpose of saving another life
and maybe they never grasped the consequences but they'll never understand because i gave him my heart and it wasn't even worth an paper, cookie cutter apology.

and i dated his best friend who said "i love you"
and i broke up with him the next week
because my heart is a bomb shelter,
warped with steel and closed up so tightly that even my mind doesn't know how to get in.

that's why i could never love you
because my heart is a bomb shelter.
my heart is a bomb shelter and i'm afraid to kiss you because a kiss is a silent 'i love you'
and i lied to my ex far too many times. 

lies come easy to me now because he filled me with smoke and dust that spills
every time i open my mouth
and every time i'm alone.

and now,
when i hear, "i love you"
i think of paper teenagers making glass promises
i taste iron and blood
and i hear a massacre.


when i was sixteen, i died
and they called it heartbreak
and i still can't figure out how to write about it.

8 comments:

  1. "because a kiss is a silent 'i love you'"
    Yes yes yes!!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "when i was fifteen, nobody told me you could disintegrate
    because you love someone
    and that isn't a metaphor because i turned to ash with your lack of words"
    Seriously one of the best posts I've read. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and i still can't figure out how to write about it." I'll be snapping till my fingers hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and now,
    when i hear, "i love you"
    i think of paper teenagers making glass promises"

    and the part about your heart and the bomb shelter...

    amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. because my heart is a bomb shelter,

    SO GOOD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm good. You're so good

    ReplyDelete
  7. "and yes that was a metaphor because science will say that i've got a condition
    a mental disease and you're expected to understand
    but saying, "i suffer from borderline personality disorder"
    will never describe the shadows lurking beneath my skin"

    "a kiss is a silent 'i love you'
    and i lied to my ex far too many times."

    Holy cow that was so good.

    Loved how you said you have this disorder but then informed that the label of that disorder won't tell me how you feel.

    And when you said "i lied to my ex too many times" I liked how you didn't spell it out for the reader, but you kind of left it implied that you kissed him without loving him.

    Nice job. Loved it.
    Maybe love is a strong word considering, but I enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete