Monday, November 9, 2015

The...


The Circus was too much for her. I could tell.

I always hated men in fedoras. “Solstice Everston.” I said, stepping to the counter. Right before he’d handed me the blue ticket stub, he’d scrawled something on it. 
Fatal? Delilah, what does yours say?”
***
“Well, this is odd.” I laughed. “Maybe it’s trying to tell you something.” 
I glanced around. They’d really transformed this place. Just a year ago, it had burned to rubble, and here it was again, in one piece. The closer I looked, the more I could still see the scars. The lights and smell and smoke could only hide so much.
***
I froze.
Why is it always me? Theme parks, schools, malls – I always ended up cold, sticky, or wet. I never expected all three at once though, as the mildly obese father of four slammed into me and spilled his uncapped Dr. Pepper all over my shirt.
“Oh, shit.”
***
The bathroom was a mess only rivaled by my shirt itself. As I peeled off my hoodie to clean my shirt, it fell to the sticky, dirt encrusted floor. I swore under my breath.
***
Once the ordeal was over, we exited the bathroom as the last hints of light fell from the sky. I shivered. I didn’t like this place. Delilah looked up at the large, wooden sign looming over us.
***
“I don’t know, Deliliah..” I said, “It’s all the way across the grounds..”
“What if we cut through the field and across the road?”
“It’s getting dark..”
“C’mon, Solstice. We’ll be fine.”
Suddenly she grabbed my hand and started dragging me towards the field.
***
“Look both ways!”
One moment, I was running and running and running and the next thinking and thinking and thinking.
Fatal.
By the time I looked up I was in the road. I saw the headlights getting bigger and bigger and bigger.
The fear grew up from my stomach.
My hair stood up.
I cast my eyes down.
    This 
was
it.    
And then… nothing.
***
Nothing. The only thing I knew for certain was nothing at all.
***
There’s red on the ticket and red on the dirt.
Red
red
red
***
“Oh my god.” he says 
“I’m a doctor”
***
This isn’t real
“Don’t touch her”
***
I can’t
***
believe
***
“She’s got eighteen minutes”

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Extremely good and creative. Keep doing what you're doing Delilah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Solstice. Just read the other one. Genius idea

      Delete
  2. THIS IS SO AMAZING THE BEST THING IVE SEEN EVER. #mybraincanthandlethecreativity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what to say... This is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha this was awesome. Loved the eighteen days and counting too, that was great

    ReplyDelete
  5. how to just win at life: this post

    ReplyDelete